Thursday, June 3, 2010

Literally saving lives ...

So today was about as intense as it has been since I have been here. We had a woman show up in labour whom we had never met (meaning we have prenatal clinics, were woman plan to birth with us, and we have folks we just hear about us and decide to come only when they are in labour). This particular woman had 10 pregnancies, birthed 9 babies, has 5 alive and 3 who died under age 5. She had a long and slow labour, probably because her story is even sadder since she has only been able to keep one of her children and raise her herself (the others have been sent to live with relatives and friends). Before and after her birth, she offered me the only child she had at home, her 2 year old daughter.

She had a long and slow labour, probably as a result of some of her own fear about being able to provide for another baby. When she finally pushed her baby out, a large especially for Haitian standards 8lbs2oz, the shoulders (of course, for anyone who knows my history with shoulders!) got stuck. The midwife I was working with, Kelly, eventually got her by the shoulder and while she was a bit stunned by her birth, she came around easily. Her mother on the other hand, just let it all go. She bled, we estimated, 3litres, which is much more than anyone should EVER bleed. I know we all know theoretically how post partum hemmorhage is one of the leading causes of maternal mortality world wide. Here, in a tent in Haiti or a rural community far from a clinic or hospital, woman literally do die from hemmorhages. I did my first manual removal of a placenta, to try and stop the tap, but it still took a lot of herbs, drugs, manual massage, and prayers to get it under control. I am partially still in shock from the level of clinical skills I needed and from the truest sense of PPH I have ever encountered.

The irony of the day was this woman was married to the brother of another another women who birthed quickly and easily in the middle of the day, in a local taptap (truck/bus) on her way to the clinic. She came in to have her placenta delivered and burned (a method of detaching the baby from the placenta known for decreasing infections, infections that are all too common for small babies and is a common cause of neonatal mortality). She was at the clinic probably for about 2 hours, just getting a full check up and before we knew it, she was getting on the back of a motorbike (the most common form of transportation here, and literally all motos, as they are called, are taxis as well), with a pile of bananas behind her and her baby between her and her husband. The other woman has IVs and we are monitoring her around the clock.

In one family in Jacmel, a new baby boy and a new baby boy were born today, both extremely different births. I love remembering, that for me, my gift and joy in this life is one birth at a time I can be the change I want to be in this world (to borrow a bit from Mahamata Ghandi).

6 comments:

  1. Hi Marijke,
    Man what a story. You're doing great to handle this stress situation. What a culture, great to be part of it.
    take care of YOURSELF darling. Love Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicolette again, I see my husbands pic's, because i've got his old Mac.
    O well, he is great to look at, this picture is taken right after he asked me to marry him at the KEI islands, Indonesia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This entry brings me to tears... what affirmation of the meaning and importance of what you do. Sending lots of strength to that mama and her family. I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marijke,

    These stories are making me tearful, too, but I am so glad you are in Haiti, helping moms and babes. Stay strong!

    Kathrin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello darling. What a life-changing experience. I have not yet had to pray during a PPH (knock on wood) and can only imagine what that must have been like. You are so strong and courageous.

    Lots of love to you... keep doing your amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh lady! Your tales from away have so many layers of provocation for me, here in Kelowna. Two worlds that couldn't be further from one another, although it seems that rare and brutal PPHs are universally traumatic! You are surely a sweet comfort to many mamas...

    ReplyDelete